The holy month of Ramadan is approaching in few days. In this scenario let us try to understand what Salaat “Namaz” [Prayer] means and requires from us in the light of Quran.
Shahid Mahmood, Advocate High Court.
THEY ARE THOSE WHO, IF WE ESTABLISH THEM IN THE LAND, ESTABLISH SALAAT AND GIVE ZAKAT, ENJOIN THE RIGHT AND FORBID WRONG: WITH ALLAH RESTS THE END (AND DECISION) OF (ALL) AFFAIRS. [Surah Al-Hajj (The Pilgrimage), 22:41]
“Salaat” is a very vast term
It means complete submission and obedience to Allah Almighty
“Salaat” includes “Namaz”
When a Muslim submit himself to Allah’s will in every matter of life then it means that he adopts “Salaat”
Implementation of “Salaat” results into a society ordered and loved by Allah Almighty and its example is Madina-tul-Nabi established by the Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (Peace be upon Him)
“Salaat” refers to a complete system of Allah Almighty’s obedience to achieve the objectives laid down by Him. This results in such an Islamic society which was established by Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (Peace be upon Him) in Madina-tul-Nabi and same was expounded by Caliphs of Holy Prophet (Peace be upon Him)
THE SYSTEM ESTABLİSHED THROUGH İMPLEMENTATİON OF “SALAAT” CAN BE VİSUALİZED THROUGH FOLLOWİNG VERSES OF SURAH NUMBER 24. AN-NUR (LIGHT) OF THE HOLY QURAN;
51. The answer of the Believers, when summoned to Allah and His Messenger, in order that He may judge between them, is no other than this: they say, “We hear and we obey.” It is such as these that will attain felicity.
52. It is such as obey Allah and His Messenger, and fear Allah and do right, that will win (in the end).
53. They swear their strongest oaths by Allah that, if only you would command them, they would leave (their homes). Say: “Swear you not; Obedience is the real thing; surely, Allah is well acquainted with all that you do.”
54. Say: “Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger: but if you turn away, he is only responsible for the duty placed on him and you for that placed on you. If you obey him, you shall be on right guidance. The Messenger’s duty is only to preach the clear (Message).”
55. Allah has promised, to those among you who believe and work righteous deeds, that He will, of a surety, grant them in the land, inheritance (of power), as He granted it to those before them; that He will establish in authority their religion – the one which He has chosen for them; and that He will change (their state), after the fear in which they (lived), to one of security and peace: ‘ They will worship Me (alone) and not associate any with Me.’ If any do reject Faith after this, they are rebellious and wicked.
56. So establish regular Prayer and give regular zakat (poor-due); and obey the Messenger, that you may receive mercy.
57. Never do think you that the Unbelievers are going to frustrate (Allah’s Plan) on earth: their abode is the Fire – and it is indeed an evil refuge!
FURTHERMORE IN FOLLOWING VERSE OF SURAH (NUMBER 42) ASH-SHURA (CONSULTATION) ALLAH ALMIGHTY SAYS AS FOLLOWS;
38. Those who respond to their Lord, and establish regular Prayer; who (conduct) their affairs by mutual Consultation; who spend out of what We bestow on them for Sustenance;
“Salaat” is a collective cooperative system which emerges in the result of complete, comprehensive, and absolute submission to Allah Almighty and His Messenger (Peace Be Upon Him)
This results into fulfillment of Allah’s promise, that He will, of a surety, grant them (who believe and work righteous deeds), in the land, inheritance (of power), as He granted it to those before them; and that He will establish in authority their religion [Surah An-Nur (Light), 24:55]
In such system all affairs are conducted by mutual consultation (Surah Ash-Shura (Consultation), 42:38)
Springs of subsistence, resources, knowledge, food, facility, wealth and all which is bestowed by Allah almighty are open to all in system based on “Salaat” which results into the society as established by the Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (Peace be upon Him) in Madina-tul-Nabi
CHARACTERISTICS OF “MOSALEEN” IN THE LIGHT OF THE HOLY QURAN;
Those who patiently persevere, seeking the countenance of their Lord [Surah Ar-Ra’d (The Thunder) 13:22]
Turn off Evil with good [Surah Ar-Ra’d (The Thunder) 13:22]
Those who remain steadfast to their prayer [Surah Al-Ma’arij (The Ways of Ascent) 70:23]
Those in whose wealth is a recognised right for the (needy) who asks and him who is prevented (for some reason from asking) [Surah Al-Ma’arij (The Ways of Ascent) 70:24-25]
Those who hold to the truth of the Day of Judgment [Surah Al-Ma’arij (The Ways of Ascent) 70:26]
Those who fear the displeasure of their Lord [Surah Al-Ma’arij (The Ways of Ascent) 70:27]
Those who guard their chastity [Surah Al-Ma’arij (The Ways of Ascent) 70:29]
Those who respect their trusts and covenants [Surah Al-Ma’arij (The Ways of Ascent) 70:32]
Those who stand firm in their testimonies [Surah Al-Ma’arij (The Ways of Ascent) 70:33]
Those who guard (the sacredness) of their worship [Surah Al-Ma’arij (The Ways of Ascent) 70:34]
Those who adore and nurture the orphan [Surah Al-Ma’un (The Neighborly Assistance)107:2]
Those who encourages and persuades the feeding of the indigent [Surah Al-Ma’un (The Neighborly Assistance)107:3]
Those who are vigilant of their prayers [Surah Al-Ma’un (The Neighborly Assistance)107:5]
Those who keep away from showoff [Surah Al-Ma’un (The Neighborly Assistance)107:6]
Those who provide neighborly needs to others [Surah Al-Ma’un (The Neighborly Assistance)107:7]
CONSEQUENCES FOR “NON-MOSALEEN” IN THE LIGHT OF THE HOLY QURAN AND THEIR NATURE;
Hell Fire [Surah Al-Muddaththir (The One Wrapped Up) 74:42] (Because)
They do not pray [Surah Al-Muddaththir (The One Wrapped Up) 74:43]
They do not fed the indigent [Surah Al-Muddaththir (The One Wrapped Up) 74:44]
They used to talk vanities with vain talkers [Surah Al-Muddaththir (The One Wrapped Up) 74:45]
They deny the Day of Judgment [Surah Al-Muddaththir (The One Wrapped Up) 74:46]
Some sayings of Allah Almighty from the Holy Quran;
They said: “O Shu’aib! Does thy (religion of) prayer command thee that we leave off the worship which our fathers practised, or that we leave off doing what we like with our property? Truly, you are the one that forbears with faults and is right- minded!” [Surah Hud 11:87]
Those who patiently persevere, seeking the countenance of their Lord; Establish regular prayers; spend, out of (the gifts) We have bestowed for their sustenance, secretly and openly; and turn off Evil with good: for such there is the final attainment of the (eternal) home. [Surah Ar-Ra’d (The Thunder) 13:22]
These verses transpire that “Salaat” is a comprehensive and absolute system which encompasses whole social life including economics, politics, and communal aspects. Namaz (Prayer) is a continuous endeavor and reminder to establish the system of “Salaat”.
Those who arise for the accomplishment of “Salaat” system they spend every moment of their lives according to the will of Allah Almighty. Their all resources and abilities are always open to the welfare and benefit of public at large. There all capabilities are devoted to the triumph of Allah’s orders.
Namaz (Prayer) is a five times reminder and preparation as well for the implementation of system of “Salaat”.
“Salaat” is the only program, agenda and course for the betterment of entire humanity. It is the beautification and adornment of Islam.
(Our religion is) the Baptism of Allah. And who can baptize better than Allah. And it is He Whom we worship. [Surah Al-Baqarah (The Heifer), 2:138].