Articles

What, the hell, does „odd” mean? by HILDE JACOBS

“What? You like this terribly hot weather? Well, yes, because you are pretty odd anyway! Ha ha ha ha ha!” These queer words, hurled at me by my family-doctor’s assistant-girl, made me smile and at the same time there aroused the wish in me to define the meaning of “odd” in this context.

Beside the sad fact that at least in Germany the time has not come yet that nearly all doc’s assistant jobs are not only done by females but by males as well, I feel embarrassed about the girl’s impudent type of assessment regarding my person. My loving hot weather – she calls odd? And my living vegan – she probably finds odd too? May be my caring for animals’ and humans’ wellbeing she calls odd as well? My conviction that cannabis is healthier than morphia certainly she calls odd?!

Girls and women like this assistant generally feel proud to be appointed by the “doctor-boss” as his “right-hand”, though they themselves often have the capacity to study medicine and to practice medicine in a medical office. Girls like her mostly are not aware of the imbalance regarding gender aspects in relation with professional qualification. Girls like her like to serve a man of higher qualification what might be called a “cap in hand”-behavior. Even if girls like her are topping the doc’s medical knowledge in some respects they are still the doc’s modest and undemanding “right hand”, always at the doc’s service, seldom opposing him.

But if it comes to “odd” patients like me who are just living in contrast to the human horde, i.e. living an individual life, those girls are bold enough to criticize them and make abusive remarks about them. It seems to amuse them if their “hero”, the doc, ridicules patients about their opinions and health convictions contrary to his mostly old-fashioned medications, and so they don’t hesitate to join him in slandering the “odd birds”.

If you don’t go along with the majority, be it the present fashion, haircut, food, beverage, color of socks, shoes, ties, conventional pills, vaccination and old-fashioned medical treatment etc. you may try to explain your “odd” opinion, you may argue, you may tell the people for hours about your reasons why you like this and not that – it does not work. You are just “odd” to the mind of the human horde. Full stop. Punkt. Basta. That’s it.

Well, dear girl, knock yourself out and go ahead slandering “odd” patients together with your doc-boss while I would like to concentrate on my “odd”-essay concerning the above mentioned cannabis theme which is impossible to discuss with my family doc since he is an ossified narrow-minded orthodox medical practitioner not having a scrap of humor even. However, you and your “hero”-doc should read straight away an excerpt of the following link, and mind please, it is not the only pro-cannabis-statement. There are innumerable academic researches and papers concerning this item in a way of positive results:

According to a 2011 study of recreational users of drugs, the probability of becoming dependent on cannabis is 8.9%.  Other substances are reported to have much higher risks of dependency: 67.5% for nicotine users, 22.7% for alcohol users, 20.9% for cocaine users. (1)  Recent media reports have stated that the numbers of those seeking drug treatments for cannabis dependence are rising.  But according to a recent study, 70% of Americans in drug treatment for cannabis were court-ordered to do so as part of a plea agreement, not because they are dependent on the drug. (2)  Due to continued prosecution of cannabis users, the numbers of those considered “cannabis dependent” are falsely elevated — most will choose rehab over jail time.  However, it’s clear that the majority of cannabis users, both medical and recreational, do not develop addiction issues.”

My very reliable friend E., who is a highly qualified editor, found out a discourse about the history of cannabis-usage centuries ago, which I will copy here as a response to my family doctor’s stupid statement that “we don’t have experience with cannabis yet and therefore we do not prescribe it as treatment”:

„Hemp is escorting manhood since a very long time. Archaeologists discovered cannabis seeds in 5.000 years old grave mounds in Siberia. The Chinese used to exploit the plant as basis for medicinal products thousands of years ago. The first American president, George Washington, cultivated hemp near the Mount Vernon. During the long-lasting history of mankind the cannabis products were ingredients of many medical tinctures and extracts – even in Germany. Nowadays the application of cannabis for medical purposes is self-evident in most of all federal states of the USA.”

1. writes furthermore: “The detailed cannabis-research started in 1964; at first in the USA, and then worldwide. (…) You are allowed to purchase Marihuana in at least eight of the 50 US States. Most of all in Colorado, i.e. everybody above 21 years is allowed to buy and consume Marihuana and Hashish legally.“

And now – what nonsense was he, my family doc, stating the other day, namely that after more than 50 years we don’t have “any experience with cannabis yet?”

So I wonder what makes my family doc and his assistant-girl laugh and call me “odd” when I am asking for a treatment with cannabis concerning my different chronic pains instead of taking me serious, since the prescription of the drug in terms of precisely defined medicine is licit now in Germany too. To move with the times seems to be a difficult process for my family-doc and his assistant-girl anyway. If scientific researches prove that cannabis resp. marijuana has a pain-relieving effect, then why is it so knotty to understand and to accept for some docs and their assistants?

There are docs who treat patients with cannabis-oil, -drops or –capsules. But the problem is the realization of the legalization of the medicament, which is created by the health-insurances and by those docs who are scared of the requirements they have to fulfill when subscribing the marijuana as medicine.  However, there are brave physicians, who recently created a page with contact details for people who are desperately searching for help regarding their unbearable suffering of pain:

„We are a community of free colleagues who make available an archive of all doctors & pharmacies supplying medical Cannabis for patients in need. We do not earn any money herewith, albeit the resources have to be paid by the patients just to keep the platform alive.”

Both, my family doc and his assistant girl, are they not feeling ashamed and embarrassed by this human support offer organized by a couple of brave physicians? What if I turn the tables and call both of them “odd” in regard of their antiquated opinion concerning the cannabis? Did they ever reflect on human history, as for instance described in a funny but none-the-less realistic way in the poem by our famous writer and poet Erich Kästner “The Development of Mankind”?  The very last rhyme says it all: “…But on closer consideration they are the same ole monkeys to this day!” In other words, if we do not follow the pioneers of mankind, we would still sit on trees in the jungle like monkeys eating bananas!

Hilde-Habiba

Hamburg, 23rd September, 2018

Facebook Comments
18 Comments

18 Comments

1. Avatar

quest bars

June 16, 2019 at 7:43 pm

I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I’m not
    sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty.
    You’re amazing! Thanks!

2. Avatar

Sexy Ass Cams

June 15, 2019 at 7:08 pm

I just couldn’t depart your web site prior to suggesting that I actually loved the usual info an individual supply on your guests?

Is gonna be back frequently to check up on new posts

3. Avatar

new ps4 games

June 8, 2019 at 1:22 pm

I every time emailed this website post page to all
    my contacts, for the reason that if like to read it next my links will
    too.

4. Avatar

tinyurl.com

June 8, 2019 at 9:22 am

This is a topic which is near to my heart… Best wishes!
    Exactly where are your contact details though?

5. Avatar

cheap carpet cleaning germantown

June 7, 2019 at 12:29 am

great points altogether, you simply gained a emblem new reader. What could you recommend in regards to your post that you just made some days in the past? Any certain?

6. Avatar

cheap carpet cleaning germantown

June 7, 2019 at 12:13 am

Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thank you

7. Avatar

carpet cleaning services germantown

June 7, 2019 at 12:01 am

A lot of of whatever you claim is astonishingly precise and it makes me wonder why I had not looked at this with this light before. This article truly did switch the light on for me personally as far as this issue goes. However there is actually just one position I am not necessarily too comfortable with so whilst I try to reconcile that with the central idea of your position, permit me observe exactly what all the rest of your subscribers have to point out.Very well done.

8. Avatar

My partner and I stumbled over here different web page and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking at your web page yet again.

9. Avatar

best carpet cleaning services germantown

June 6, 2019 at 11:25 pm

Good post. I learn one thing more difficult on completely different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to learn content material from other writers and apply a bit of one thing from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

10. Avatar

best carpet cleaning services germantown

June 6, 2019 at 10:34 pm

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say excellent blog!

11. Avatar

germantown cheap carpet cleaning

June 6, 2019 at 8:31 pm

I in addition to my buddies have already been checking out the excellent techniques located on your web blog and all of a sudden came up with a terrible suspicion I never thanked the blog owner for those techniques. All of the young boys came for this reason joyful to see them and have in fact been making the most of those things. Thank you for indeed being so kind and also for making a decision on variety of wonderful themes most people are really desirous to discover. Our own sincere regret for not expressing appreciation to sooner.

12. Avatar

germantown carpet cleaning near me

June 6, 2019 at 7:06 pm

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this superb blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

13. Avatar

I am curious to find out what blog platform you’re using? I’m having some small security problems with my latest blog and I’d like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any solutions?

14. Avatar

June 6, 2019 at 5:15 pm

Thanks for another excellent post. Where else could anybody get that type of information in such a perfect way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.

15. Avatar

GYc2VM9W_l0

June 6, 2019 at 4:59 pm

great issues altogether, you just won a new reader. What might you suggest in regards to your put up that you simply made a few days ago? Any positive?

16. Avatar

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & assist other users like its helped me. Good job.

17. Avatar

GYc2VM9W_l0

June 6, 2019 at 12:43 pm

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too magnificent. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous site.

18. Avatar

Workers Compensation Attorney

June 6, 2019 at 12:38 pm

Terrific work! This is the type of info that should be shared around the internet. Shame on the seek engines for not positioning this publish higher! Come on over and discuss with my website . Thanks =)