Guest Articles

AN INTERVIEW WITH AARTI TIKOO SINGH

Aarti Tikoo Singh is a Senior Assistant Editor with The Times of India, responsible for news selection, editing, writing and coordination for the web edition of TOI. She is a Times Aspire award winner for her various accomplishments as an editor. For almost seven years, she has reported from the State of Jammu and Kashmir, covering politics, governance and human stories.. A WISCOMP fellowship awardee, Aarti has traveled across Kashmir to study the impact of militant violence on education.

Besides two Masters degrees in Political Science and English from the University of Jammu, she has a Master in International Affairs from Columbia University, New York. She is also a Post Graduate in Journalism from Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Jammu. In New York, she interned with the United Nations and BBC and worked as a research assistant at Columbia University. Currently, she is working on a book about Kashmir.

She is one of the rare persons of her generation who shuttles between the words of various Kashmiri poets, pages of Rajtarangini and Abhinavgupta’s philosophy.

Excerpts from an interaction with Rajesh Prothi

What is your family background?

I come from a modest, undistinguished but progressive Kashmiri Pandit family of Anantnag town in Kashmir. In January 1990, when massive violence broke out in the Kashmir Valley, my family was forced to leave our native town and take refuge in Jammu, the city of Dogras in the southern region of the State. At that time, I was a class eight student. Times were hard, I along with my siblings grew up in one-room pigeonholes and studied in one of the schools of Jammu.

What have been the high and low points in your career?

I don’t see my profession in terms of high or low points. I have never seen it that way. Perhaps because the struggle for survival was so paramount that one couldn’t afford to think in such terms. It was always about fighting against odds, working hard, and following the path with unwavering determination. The journey that I undertook to be independent, mentally, emotionally and economically, I think, has been worth it. So the only point, in my career, was to pursue facts and truth while abiding by the principles and ethics of the profession.

So what then is your position?

The famous American journalist Walter Cronkite once said, “I think being a liberal, in the true sense, is being non-doctrinaire, non-dogmatic, non-committed to a cause – but examining each case on its merits. Being left of centre is another thing; it’s a political position. I think most newspapermen by definition have to be liberal; if they’re not liberal, by my definition of it, then they can hardly be good newspapermen. If they’re preordained dogmatists for a cause, then they can’t be very good journalists; that is, if they carry it into their journalism.” I always weigh my career in his words and I can confidently say that I qualify. I have been a dispassionate, detached and objective journalist throughout. In the 12 years of my journalistic career, I have never felt any ideological allegiance or affiliation to anything other than the guiding principles of journalism and the ones enshrined in the preamble of the Indian Constitution.

Any anecdote that you would like to share with us of the time spent in the State of Jammu & Kashmir?

There are several anecdotes and instances that I would like to share. But I would rather hold them for my book that I am currently working on.

The society you come from plays a considerable role in studies and eventually in the area of work. What has been your story?

In 1995, my father and I came to Delhi, all the way from Jammu, for my admission in a prestigious engineering college. It was a scholarship based entry and I was to pay mere Rs. 800 as my admission fee. Right at the clerk’s desk, my father asked me, very casually, if I was sure that engineering was what I really wanted to do. I thought for a second and said, “No.” He held my hand tight and we walked out of the college. Neither of my parents questioned my choice and instead they let me pursue my own dreams. My parents worked very hard to educate my sister and me through the decade of destitution following our displacement from Kashmir. Sometimes they didn’t even have enough for themselves and yet they brought us the books we wanted. They stood by me through dejections and disillusionments and also through the times when journalism felt like a place where only males could survive and succeed.

The new generation has enough resources, but they still need the counsel and at times hand-holding. What is your take on this aspect?

Aspire well and aspire high. It is not only important to desire a virtuous goal, but it is equally important to choose the righteous path. Once you have chosen, chase your dream and do not let anyone come in your way. Do not let your family or society decide for you. Do not hold yourself back just because most people around you think differently. Also, think logically and rationally but remain compassionate and humanistic in both personal and public lives.

Professionally, you are doing quite well. Is there anything besides your work which interests you?

The rich blues of the Himalayan sky, the rugged mountains hugging Shanti Stupa, the orchestra of the Lidder or the Indus, a long sleepy night of rain tapping on the tin-roofed home, Sarangi or flute in the backdrop, cogitation on philosophy, and epeolatry with incense of fresh print of jacketed books. Walking through the streets and among the idiosyncrasies of New York City, lazing and lying on the riverfront and watching the Manhattan skyline and skyscrapers, chatting with random quirky strangers in Queens and waiting for the twilight on the steps of the Low Library on a warm summer day. In the absence of the above interests, good time with family, friends and my dog, Osho. And, when they are not around, books, books and books or a good political debate, a courtroom drama, a detective series and a sci-fi movie are ideal.

What efforts do you make to keep the culture of Kashmiri alive?

Honestly, I don’t think I have made any efforts to keep the Kashmiri culture alive. It is the other way round though; Kashmiri culture keeps my spirit alive. I know I am afflicted with a certain syndrome, call it homesickness or nostalgia or Kashmir-mania or whatever you like. Perhaps, I am not the only one suffering from it, perhaps many among the displaced Kashmiris behave exactly the way I do, but I can only speak for myself here. I catch myself surfing the Internet or YouTube, for hours together, looking for videos or mp3 or little nuggets of information about music, jokes, drama, history and life in Kashmir till 1990. Much before the Internet became accessible, I would spend most of my pocket money or small earnings on buying history books on Kashmir. Now, on a quiet, solitary day in Delhi, I listen to Mahjoor’s ‘kati chukh nund banay’ sung by Kailash Mehra or Rajinder Kachroo’s ‘harmukh bar tal’ or both on the repeat mode while reading Stein’s Rajtarangini or Abhinavgupta’s Shaiva philosophy or Abdul Ahad Zargar’s poetry. Whether knowing and understanding one’s dying culture can be called an effort to preserve it, only time will tell.

What is your opinion about the true culture of Kashmir where different communities used to live together before 90’s?

There is no such thing as true culture. There are good cultures and bad cultures. Kashmir’s good culture was the culture that flourished under Sultan Zain-ul-Abidin and that entered Kashmiri households through the poetry and sayings of its saints- Lal Ded and Nund Reshi. The beauty of its syncretic culture shone in large measure even in the ’70s and the early ’80s. The bad culture is the foreign import of intolerance, violence and Islamist fundamentalism that arrived in the late ’80s and has continued to stay on and break out every now and then. It is a culture that does not belong to Kashmir or its people, traditionally. My only hope is that in my lifetime, the people of Kashmir will reject it wholeheartedly and decisively and let the good culture prevail.

COURTESY: THE CHERRY TREE

Facebook Comments
39 Comments

39 Comments

1. forex signals

April 18, 2018 at 9:38 am

997835 176594When do you think this Real Estate market will go back in a positive direction? Or is it still too early to tell? We are seeing a great deal of housing foreclosures in Altamonte Springs Florida. What about you? Would love to get your feedback on this. 165015

2. Popcorn

April 14, 2018 at 9:57 pm

Would you like some popcorn?

3. Old People Getting Drunk

April 14, 2018 at 4:30 am

No one can ever say this site is boring!

4. Much Needed Vacation

April 13, 2018 at 11:49 pm

Way to go Edward. This blog is amazing!

5. Thank you for visiting

April 13, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Don’t forget the grilled onions!

6. best board games for adults

April 13, 2018 at 5:46 pm

I am glad to be a visitor of this double dyed web blog, thanks for this rare info!

7. Blogger Listening to Music

April 13, 2018 at 2:14 pm

Rice anyone?

8. Office Picture

April 13, 2018 at 1:47 pm

Have yourself a very good day!

9. Fake Shoes

April 13, 2018 at 10:46 am

Try not to laugh!

10. Grocery Delivery

April 12, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Eat much rice?

11. Stock Trading Techniques

April 10, 2018 at 1:51 pm

You sure know how to make a squirrel smile.

12. Typing

April 8, 2018 at 10:15 pm

Don’t eat too much before going to bed.

13. Woman Smiling

April 8, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Can whales get fleas?

14. Wine Lovers

April 7, 2018 at 8:36 pm

I’ve never ever read anything better!

15. Boring Blog Cornfield

April 6, 2018 at 6:01 pm

Do you like to smell the breath of someone who just ate garlic?

16. white-hat link building

March 30, 2018 at 10:43 pm

551658 852088Beging with the entire wales properly before just about any planking. Our own wales can easily compilation of calculated forums those thickness analysts could be the comparable to some with the shell planking along with a lot more significant damage so that they project following dark planking. planking 365833

17. 家1

March 17, 2018 at 1:51 am

866147 389535Hey there! Nice post! Please inform us when we will see a follow up! 25836

18. empresa informática

March 6, 2018 at 12:18 pm

224005 694022Wow, fantastic weblog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look simple. The overall look of your web web site is fantastic, let alone the content! 466982

19. Pendaftaran Daerah 2018

February 27, 2018 at 11:32 am

498442 523248Im impressed, I ought to say. Genuinely rarely do you encounter a weblog thats both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you may have hit the nail about the head. Your concept is outstanding; ab muscles something that too couple of individuals are speaking intelligently about. Im delighted i identified this in my hunt for something about it. 96776

20. 蜘蛛

February 27, 2018 at 2:34 am

490006 927366Sweet web web site , super layout, real clean and utilize pleasant. 387699

21. green coffee

February 24, 2018 at 10:59 am

597588 682558The write-up posted was quite informative and useful. You men and women are performing a fantastic job. Keep going. 795832

22. Digital Marketing

February 18, 2018 at 8:38 pm

437761 817881I admire your function , regards for all of the helpful blog posts. 860717

23. In vivo Radiolabeled ADME

February 5, 2018 at 12:22 pm

465135 652934You completed various excellent points there. I did a search on the theme and located the majority of folks will consent together with your weblog. 511073

24. warehouse for sale

February 5, 2018 at 11:46 am

850544 689708The vacation trades offered are evaluated a variety of in the chosen and simply excellent value all about the world. Those hostels are normally based towards households which you will uncover accented via charming shores promoting crystal-clear fishing holes, concurrent of ones Ocean. Hotels Discounts 770296

25. http://www.guaranteedppc.com

February 2, 2018 at 5:34 am

76551 619456We stumbled more than here coming from a different internet page and thought I may well check points out. I like what I see so now im following you. Look forward to exploring your internet page yet once again. 373345

26. event management company in Hyderabad city

February 1, 2018 at 4:31 am

340206 275625Its great as your other blog posts : D, thanks for posting . 891371

27. Appliance repair North York

January 30, 2018 at 11:12 pm

136885 373166Hello there! I could have sworn Ive been to this weblog before but following reading by way of some of the post I realized it is new to me. Anyhow, Im surely happy I found it and Ill be book-marking and checking back often! 906472

28. informática lisboa

January 24, 2018 at 10:32 pm

229690 2897You developed some decent points there. I looked on the net for any problem and located most individuals goes along with together with your internet site. 454944

29. Analytical Chemistry Services FTE

January 11, 2018 at 1:14 pm

990789 650756Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a weblog web site? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I had been slightly bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided brilliant transparent concept 543865

30. Software klinik kecantikan

January 9, 2018 at 9:02 pm

797379 969453This web site is actually a walk-through for all of the data you wanted about it and didnt know who to question. Glimpse here, and you will surely discover it. 84255

31. registrasi cpns 2018

December 29, 2017 at 5:54 pm

247400 224182Hello! Someone in my Facebook group shared this internet site with us so I came to appear it over. Im undoubtedly enjoying the details. Im book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Outstanding blog and superb style and design. 608584

32. geo

December 26, 2017 at 3:09 am

961716 556911You need to be very astute at research and writing. This shows up in your original and distinctive content material. I agree together with your primary points on this subject. This content material really should be seen by more readers. 771819

33. empresa informatica

December 22, 2017 at 8:54 pm

442410 608557Beging with the entire wales properly before just about any planking. Our own wales can easily compilation of calculated forums those thickness analysts could be the related to some with the shell planking along with much more significant damage so that they project following dark planking. planking 996806

34. Aws Alkhazraji

December 17, 2017 at 10:02 pm

814809 280842not everyone would need to have a nose job but my girlfriend genuinely needs some rhinoplasty coz her nose is kind of crooked- 977649

35. Aws alkhazrajii

December 10, 2017 at 4:08 am

883418 915648I conceive this website has got some real wonderful data for everybody : D. 222901

36. DMPK Studies Companies

November 29, 2017 at 7:44 am

916672 875252I was suggested this weblog by way of my cousin. Im no longer confident whether or not this put up is written by him as nobody else realize such detailed about my trouble. You are fantastic! Thanks! 666794

37. Wedding Planners in Hitech City

November 19, 2017 at 11:17 am

519563 368911How can I attract much more hits to my composing weblog? 290102

38. Corporate Events in Hyderabad

November 7, 2017 at 7:49 pm

926916 46996It can be tough to write about this topic. I feel you did an excellent job though! Thanks for this! 963213

39. roof contractor near me

November 1, 2017 at 9:36 pm

506588 697450As soon as I identified this internet web site I went on reddit to share some with the love with them. 817632